I'm not special

2 Saturdays ago, I met a guy at a bar in Ruaka.
Within an hour of spotting him, we had exchanged numbers and  were flirting via text.
The chemistry between us was sizzling, and when he came to sit next to me, my friends,
 noting how smitten I was, excused themselves and went downstairs to play pool.
Those 2 hrs flew.
It was exhilarating.
At some point he said 'I  hope you're not like other women'
A few years ago, I'd have vehemently agreed to  this.
I'd like to think I'm now wiser and my answer was 'I'm like other women in many ways
and different in other ways'

In recent years,I've started to pay keen interest to similarity.Before that, I used to thrive on difference.
Now, I realise, as a  woman, African, employee, daughter, Kenyan, whichever identity I choose, there are many traits I have in common with those I share that  identity with.
This has helped me deconstruct my own importance.The best part, of doing it myself,
 is being able to apply my own salve to the wounds this is inflicting.
It's freeing,knowing that I can display the whole spectrum of thoughts, emotions and actions   exhibited by fellows from my tribe, gender, nationality, race, religion etc and not judge myself too harshly.
I am them and they are me.
And  when I  make choices contrary to that norm,even that can be attributed to another cohort.
I am not special.Thank God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad times

:-(

Self doubt